In the mid-1960s, Stephen Frantz and Arvin Tap started a small company whose purpose was to buy, refurbish, and sell used machine equipment. When the partners purchased a piece of cold forming equipment, they soon discovered that there was little demand for this type of equipment in the Western Michigan area. Rather than selling the equipment, the two partners changed the focus of the business: from rebuilding and reselling equipment to the manufacturing of special fasteners.
Under the leadership and hard work of these two entrepreneurs, Fastco (then known as Fast Machine) took off and was incorporated in 1970. In December of 1973, Fastco outgrew its original location on the south side of Grand Rapids, moving to its present location in Walker, Michigan. From a modest, 30,000 square feet facility, Fastco has expanded to three buildings and 150,000 square feet on its Walker campus.
Throughout its history, Fastco has responded to the challenges of the marketplace and, in particular, the automotive industry. When automotive quality standards ramped up in the 1990s, Fastco invested in process monitors for all of its cold formers and thread rollers. When automotive customers began to champion the challenge of zero defects, Fastco committed a significant portion of financial resources to the acquisition of various types of electronic inspection systems. Today, the electronic inspection and roller sorting of fasteners has become standard practices at Fastco. Indeed, Fastco’s acquisition of eddy current capability in its inspection process adds a new dimension of capability and provides customers with an additional layer of protection.
As Fastco approaches its 50th anniversary of incorporation, the company stands ready and poised for substantial growth. Committed to excellence and continual improvement in all aspects of its operations, Fastco is committed to becoming the best producer of special fasteners in North America.
P.O. Box 141427, Grand Rapids, MI 49514-1427
Phone: (616) 453-5428 | Fax: (616) 791-0481